This is my first time writing a feature article for a magazine. When the magazine editor first approached me I was excited but yet feeling a sense of trepidation as I have never written for a magazine before. The only previous writing I have done is for this blog postings and am definitely not a professional writer. I gave it a go.
The writing process took me several weeks but, it was not as difficult as I initially thought.
- Social media recruiting is a topic I was familiar with. I wrote several blog posts related to social media use in Human Resources and recruiting.
- I already had some of the statistics needed. I was able to reuse data from my previous HR seminars.
- Doing additional research was not too difficult. Although trying to find information for the Hong Kong market was limited. There were more information for China and Singapore.
- The magazine editor was very helpful in helping me with ideas, questions and edits.
- It was definitely the writing part… how to make the information interesting and relevant to the reader.
- Minding the length of the article at 1500 words. As this was a big topic to cover so writing for length was an issue. However, keeping focus on the most salient points was important.Rewriting several drafts of the article felt a bit arduous but necessary to clarify my ideas
- Deadlines. I had to meet revision due dates to the editor. I had a day job and business travels during the period. I definitely felt the pressure to focus and meet the editor’s due date for various drafts.